Alan Waltar, nuclear engineer, Past President of the American Nuclear Society, Chair ANS - HPS Joint Topical Conference on Applicability of Radiation-Response Models to Low Dose Protection Standards, October 1 - 3, 2018: Preliminary Program. This conference addresses one of the most important issues facing nuclear power and nuclear medicine, how to establish realistic low dose radiation protection standards. Since the beginning of use of nuclear power in the 1950s, the arbitrary Linear No-Threshold Model with Collective Dose Corollary has been used with results that vastly over predict deaths due to exposure to low dose radiation. This has added tremendous costs, held back the use of nuclear power and limited the use of nuclear medicine. This conference aims at working to establish a low dose protection standard that is based on reality of living organisms rather than an unrealistic arbitrary set of rules.
Latest from John Shanahan
- Climate change in the Baltic region in the last 1000 years (Sebastian Luening, Kalte Sonne) Germany
- Survey about fossil fuels, man-made climate change, nuclear (John Shanahan, John Droz) USofA
- Retired Adm. William McRaven asks Trump to revoke his security clearance (Grace Segers, CBS News) USofA
- China building nuclear power house (Axios, Zachary Basu) USofA
- Russia and China building nuclear power plant alliances (Nikkei Asian Review, Tomoyo Ogawa) Japan