Alan Waltar, nuclear engineer, Past President of the American Nuclear Society, Chair ANS - HPS Joint Topical Conference on Applicability of Radiation-Response Models to Low Dose Protection Standards, October 1 - 3, 2018: Preliminary Program. This conference addresses one of the most important issues facing nuclear power and nuclear medicine, how to establish realistic low dose radiation protection standards. Since the beginning of use of nuclear power in the 1950s, the arbitrary Linear No-Threshold Model with Collective Dose Corollary has been used with results that vastly over predict deaths due to exposure to low dose radiation. This has added tremendous costs, held back the use of nuclear power and limited the use of nuclear medicine. This conference aims at working to establish a low dose protection standard that is based on reality of living organisms rather than an unrealistic arbitrary set of rules.
Latest from John Shanahan
- Artenschutz als Produktionsziel - Biodiversity must be goal of agriculture production (Fritz Vahrenholt, Deutsche Wildtier Stiftung) Germany German Deutsch
- World distribution of biomass (The Guardian) UK
- Venezuela oil shock and economc catastrophe (Virginia Lopez, AL JAZEERA)
- Recent Temperature and CO2 Disconnect (Thomas Wysmuller) USofA
- Scientists and engineers working for a better world (John Shanahan, Wade Allison) USofA UK